- 2 heads broccoli (1 bunch), stems removed
- 1 head cauliflower, stems removed
- 2.5 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup currants
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4-6 tbsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
- kosher salt, pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp salt and lots of pepper)
- kelp granules or Herbamare (optional), to taste
- Pure maple syrup, to drizzle on before serving
- 1. In a food processor (or chop by hand) process the broccoli (no stems) until fine. Add into large bowl.
- 2. Now process the cauliflower (no stems) until fine and add into bowl. Do the same with the carrots.
- 3. Stir in the sunflower seeds, currants, raisins, and parsley. Add lemon juice and seasonings to taste.
- 4. Drizzle with maple syrup to taste.
World’s Healthiest Foods reports that cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, watercress, and mustard greens) are said to be detoxifying because they provide support for the immune system, inflammatory system, hormonal system, detoxification system, and antioxidant system (source). These vegetables contain a wide variety of vitamins and minerals as well as phytonutrients. For example, one such group of phytonutrients found in cruciferous vegetables are called glucosinolates. Glucosinolates are thought to have anti-cancer properties in a variety of research studies (source). World’s healthiest Foods also suggest consuming 3 servings of cruciferous vegetables each week for maximum benefit.
By eating an easy to digest alkaline diet, your body is able to detoxify tissues, your liver works more efficiently and your pH balances itself naturally. There are incredible benefits of creating an alkaline environment in the body. Americans consuming the typical standard American diet (SAD diet) create bodily conditions that are highly acidic and make them prone to all sorts of health problems including pain and inflammation and increased risk of cancer and heart problems.
Green foods are high in chlorophyll and provide more oxygen to the tissues. Oxygen helps create a healthy alkaline pH in the body. Because Matcha is so incredibly high in cholorphyll, it is an alkaline superfood. By drinking one cup of Matcha per day you can immediately begin detoxifying the body and changing the body’s pH from acid to alkaline.
How to Drink It
A fantastic way to include matcha in your daily routine is by simple drinking it on its own, or by adding it to a smoothie or other beverage.
2 teaspoons Matcha powder
¼ cup hot water
¼ cup warmed coconut milk
optional – sweetner of your choice, to taste
Spoon the matcha into a large mug. Add the hot water and coconut milk and whisk briskly, in an up and down motion, until frothy – about 30 seconds or so. Taste and add additional water, coconut milk, and/or sweetener to your liking. (I add just a bit of honey).
I also add matcha to my breakfast green smoothies for sustainable energy all morning. Here’s a green smoothie recipe to try:
Matcha Mango Mint Smoothie
Makes 2 16-ounce glasses
3 big handfuls of spinach
1 cup frozen/fresh mango
15 mint leaves
1½ teaspoons matcha green tea powder
½ cup frozen/fresh strawberries
1 cup coconut water
1 cup water
Blend ingredients in a high-powered blender. Pour into a glass and enjoy.